Wi-Fi with Samsung S390G

Wi-Fi with Samsung S390G

Postby ebuttler » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:14 pm

Having a bit of an issue with wi-fi on my Samsung S390G:

I assumed that when using wi-fi to connect to the internet the 3G feature was either disabled or bypassed, but that doesn't seem to be the case. After turning on the wi-fi and starting the internet browser, the phone apparently connected through 3G -- actually, I couldn't tell just how it connected, either through 3G or wi-fi. In any case, minutes were deducted from my pay-as-you-go account, while I was under the impression that that would not occur when using the wi-fi connection. Obviously I'm missing something here.

How do I make use of wi-fi instead of 3G?

Any help would be appreciated.
ebuttler

Re: Wi-Fi with Samsung S390G

Postby MDonah » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:59 am

I, too, have the same question.

There are some differences though.

When I activated the phone, I lost the 3G connection and was instead reduced to Edge speeds. I went through the process of activating the wifi but was greeted with invalid network key (which it wasn't) and now when I check details, it says "Not connected".

The wifi icon is blue. Shouldn't it be white (for good connection) or green (for excellent connection)?
John 3:16
MDonah

Postby ebuttler » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:23 pm

To tell the truth, I don't know what "Edge" speed is, or how it differs from 3G. At this point I'm more interested in figuring out the methodology (or lack thereof) this idiotic company employs in the realm of so-called "customer service." How do they decide what posts to respond to? It isn't possible they ignore the most pissed-off people, because seemingly everybody gets bent out of shape eventually. What's the criteria? The only thing I know for certain is that one should NEVER attempt to phone these fools, judging by the endless tales of grief I've read. Other than that . . .

I don't have a clue anymore. If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears.
ebuttler

Postby MDonah » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:01 pm

I managed to get my wi-fi working. It doesn't deduct minutes any more when I connect to the internet via the built-in browser. Also, the wi-fi icon in the notification field at the top turns from blue to green when you're connected.

It took a lot of searching on the internet through my computer. If your wi-fi network doesn't have a check mark next to it after you go through the connection process, then you're not connected via wi-fi.

You have to make sure you go through all the steps by scrolling down through the fields and entering any required information.

The phone defaults to 64 bit encryption. I had to change it to 128 bit encryption even though I only have WEP security. It kept saying "Invalid Network Key" if I left the encryption at 64 bit. Once I changed it, I was able to enter my 26 character network key.

If you still can't connect to wi-fi, please continue to post here and I'll try to walk you through it.

P.S. As far as the 3G/Edge thing, it seems that signal strength is what determines your connection speed. I've had the indicator go back and forth between 3G and Edge.
MDonah

Wi Fi with Samsung S390G

Postby Pamligmenia » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:16 am

just like the title says, do you have any knowledge or opinion on whether or not Samsung plans to come out with a P4? New Features? Screen Size, Capacity 64gb or...even 120 gb? Whadya think??
Pamligmenia

Re: Wi Fi with Samsung S390G

Postby MDonah » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:34 pm

Pamligmenia wrote:just like the title says, do you have any knowledge or opinion on whether or not Samsung plans to come out with a P4? New Features? Screen Size, Capacity 64gb or...even 120 gb? Whadya think??

I have no idea what Samsung intends to do with feature phones like the S390G. They, like everybody else, seem to be geared toward Android and/or Windows.

I bought the S390G for the WiFi connectivity, but I'm not all that impressed with the phone's features — you can't back up to or restore contacts from a micro SD card. It won't connect to Samsung's PC Studio via Bluetooth (I have to purchase a USB data cable). And the center "OK" button that also acts like a touch pad on a laptop computer is very difficult for me to work with.

Addendum:

I found another (what I consider to be) design flaw with this phone — the WiFi disconnects when the screen blanks. You have to reconnect to your WiFi network BEFORE you open your browser otherwise, you'll have time deducted as soon as you open the browser.
MDonah

Postby mattbare03 » Fri May 22, 2015 4:19 pm

i seem to have this same problem - my samsung can't find a wifi network - did anyone solve this problem that can explain to me how to activate wifi?
thanks
mattbare03

Postby NET10 - Jhonally » Sat May 23, 2015 12:37 am

Hi mattbare03. My name is NET10 Jhonally. Sorry that you’re having a problem. I will contact you directly with a private message. Thanks.
NET10 - Jhonally

Return to Samsung