How do I configure "other" smartphones for Net10??

How do I configure "other" smartphones for Net10??

Postby Hroschima » Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:46 pm

Hello,

I like Net10's new choices for smartphones that use the Android platform. However, the screen sizes are still just too small for my liking.

How would I get other CDMA phones to access Net10 for my service instead?
For instance:
The phones I would like to use with Net10 are Droid X, Droid 2 & 3, HTC Evo, Samsung Galaxies, etc... ??

I know with GSM you can use the SIM chips to do it, but with CDMA it's slightly more difficult. I know it can be done though... I just don't know how.

I think the phone with the best chance is the Motorola Droid 2 Global... It has options to use GSM and CDMA, plus other configuration options for given networks.

Everybody usually says, "Why not just get a GSM phone and order a SIM"? I would, but CDMA coverage is better, faster, and the smartphones for Net10 are CDMA.

So... Any ideas?

Thank you all!
Hroschima

Re: How do I configure "other" smartphones for Net10??

Postby marianne » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:53 am

Hi Hroschima. My name is NET10 Marianne. Please be advised that our BYOP Service will only wor with any AT&T or T-Mobile compatible phones and any unlocked domestic GSM phone. However, this program will not work with Blackberry phones and CDMA phones.
marianne

Postby Hroschima » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:07 pm

Hi thanks for the reply.

What about a phone that's meant for this type of service though. For instance, an unlocked Droid 2 Global...? It's made to be programmed with other networks because of the multiple frequencies it can function on.

Wouldn't I just have to have Net10 add the MEID to their systems and then put the correct settings in the phone and possibly dial *22888??

Thanks!
Hroschima

Postby marianne » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:36 am

Hroschima, as long as it is an AT&T or T-Mobile compatible phones or an unlocked domestic GSM phone, then it would work. Since this type of phone will work both GSM and CDMA service, this phone would not work if you are in an area that only have a CDMA network because we do not provide service for CDMA phones. You can use this phone for GSM service only and you can update the APN settings for you to access the browser.
marianne

Postby Hroschima » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:41 am

The new Net10 smartphones are CDMA, and you can also request CDMA phones in other models, including the simple ones. This is a recent addition to Net10's network...

Yes GSM would be easy but I'm glad the new smartphones have to use CDMA. The coverage is better and so is the service. I think it's awesome because now Verizon and Sprint towers are being used which equals superb coverage... those are just the top two, but there are several other carriers as well.

Any ideas for CDMA phones?? GSM is easy because you can just order a sim from Net10. CDMA is what I'm having trouble figuring out how to get it on my service...

Thanks!
Hroschima

Return to Getting started, adding Airtime and other general NET10 discussions.