Considering Androids

Considering Androids

Postby jshenry1963 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:55 am

I have a very very trustworthy good usable LG600G that is slowly reaching it's end of life.
I am considering getting one of the new android phones.
I'm a texter, I will browse once in a while so I can turn off 3g when desired.
I might connect up via wifi when possible, but will most likely run with wifi turned off.
Bluetooth, same thing, will probably not use a bluetooth headset, but may want to use it sometimes, but 99% of the time, like wifi, it will be turned off normally.
I don't use a lot of minutes each month, and I probably won't update facebook or gmail from it. Never know.
I do want to use a decent GPS navigation module when traveling. But it won't be on unless I need it.
My options in my area are the
HUAWEI Ascend II -
Do the apps come from the play.google? or are they getjar? or can I also write and download my own? (I am a software developer, just new to what Net10 offers)
LG Optimus Black -
to me, a bit pricey, but seems like a good mid to high end android phone.
LG Optimus Q -
Might work, but might still be a bit pricey for my own desire.
LG Optimus Net -
Price is good, but is it fast enough to handle my normal type of use? (I'll describe it in a second later)
LG 800G -
This is a possible, but I assume it is only apps from getjar. Can I load my own?

I know others have gone through the same thing, which one to get, and why.
So, anyone have any good comments on which one they chose, and how well it worked for them?
Also, from Net10, I would like to know if I can load my own written apps into the phones? or if I can download others than just getjar or play.google apps.

I don't really want to spend more than $150 for the phone itself, so, that probably knocks out a couple of the LG Optimus's.
Other brands than LG that I should really consider in my area? (East TN).

Thanks in advance,
John
jshenry1963

Re: Considering Androids

Postby MDonah » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:24 am

jshenry1963 wrote:So, anyone have any good comments on which one they chose, and how well it worked for them?
Also, from Net10, I would like to know if I can load my own written apps into the phones? or if I can download others than just getjar or play.google apps.

I don't really want to spend more than $150 for the phone itself, so, that probably knocks out a couple of the LG Optimus's.
Other brands than LG that I should really consider in my area? (East TN).

Thanks in advance,
John

Hi John,

My name is Mike and hopefully I can give you a little insight.

I currently own 4 Net10 phones - 3 LGs (Optimus Net, 900G [QWERTY] and 800G) and a Samsung (T401G - [slide-out QWERTY]). I went from one phone to the next in an effort to find one I could text with!

As far as the phones go:

One you're considering, the 800G is the only one I currently have active for my cell phone service with Net10. It's a GSM phone which means you'll only get 2G speed. The processor is a bit slow. Games that I play on the 800G take longer to load than on the 900G and play slower. It has limitations as far as how many JAVA apps can be run even from a Micro SD card - I got a "Maximum JAVA" message after downloading a bunch of apps and games from umnet.com to the SD card and reinstalling the card in the phone. I don't know exactly how much the phone can handle. It cannot handle anything larger than a 4 GB Micro SD card. If you put anything larger than that in the phone, a red "X" will show up on the SD card icon in the information area at the top of the screen. If you have files on that larger card, you can read them. But you won't be able to write to the card. You could, however, develop JAVA apps for it - I'll get to that later.

Another one you're considering, the Optimus Net is a very capable "entry-level" Android phone. The only reason it's not my active Net10 phone (instead of the 800G) is I cannot keep up with the 30 day time frame that's imposed by Net10's $50/month unlimited service plan. It's the only plan available for their Android phones.

The Optimus Net has an ARM6 processor running at 800 MHz, 213 MB of internal storage and 420 MB RAM. It supports up to a 32 GB Micro SD card. You can develop Android apps/games for it or JAVA apps/games.

You mention GPS - the Optimus Net has that and it can be configured to run off the GPS satellites. There's also turn-by-turn with voice available (the voice that's used though is difficult to comprehend as there's a HEAVY Carribean accent).

You mention wifi - My Optimus Net has wifi turned on at all times because I access the internet frequently with the phone. It, of course, can be turned off but then some of the apps I have running require full internet access as well.

3G - you can't turn that off. It's how the phone accesses phone/data service through the Sprint network. I had, at times, had signal issues with the phone (it would drop to 1x or even disappear altogether - but, I'm not sure if that was the phone or the carrier). If I rebooted the phone, the 3G signal would come back.

Bluetooth - I only used that once to see if I could pair the phone up with my other bluetooth enabled phones.

Games/apps - Getjar and Google's app store aren't the only places to get them. There's umnet.com, mobyware.net and java-mobiles.net to name a few.

Now for the "juicy" part - JAVA!

LG has a developer network from which you can get the SDK for their phones. You'll have to sign up with the LG Developer Network at the following site:

http://developer.lgmobile.com

You'll then be able to download the entire LG developer kit, tutorials and samples. Since you're a program developer, you should have no problem.

Android - there's also an SDK for Android available from the following site:

http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html

Again, you'll have to sign up but the SDK goes all the way up to Android 4.0. I downloaded the entire set to my computer. There are a number of updates you'll go through in the process of downloading everything, so be prepared to spend some time. The total package is also quite large (over 6 GB). There are a number of tutorials and samples as well with the package.

If you go with either LG phone, I recommend the programs you may develop be put on and run from the SD card.

Hope this gives you a leg up on your journey.
John 3:16
MDonah

Postby jshenry1963 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:19 pm

Mike,

Thank you very much for your reply and the links. I am leaning more towards the Optimus Net, since I do want to get an app for turn by turn gps, and eventually write my own. Great to hear I could download from a lot of different places too.

Again, thank you very much for your input, it is appreciated.
John
jshenry1963

Postby MDonah » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:25 am

jshenry1963 wrote:Mike,

Thank you very much for your reply and the links. I am leaning more towards the Optimus Net, since I do want to get an app for turn by turn gps, and eventually write my own. Great to hear I could download from a lot of different places too.

Again, thank you very much for your input, it is appreciated.
John

You're welcome.

If you do get the Optimus Net, Net10 doesn't include an owners manual. They include a services manual, an activation card, the phone and the charger, Here's a link to get the owners manual:

http://www.lg.com/us/support-mobile/lg-LGL45C

You might want to check out this post I just found BEFORE you buy the Optimus Net:

http://www.net10forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5795&t=85870

I wasn't aware of this type of problem.
MDonah

Postby jshenry1963 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:17 pm

Just to let everyone know, I did settle on the Samsung Galaxy Proclaim. Bought it on EBay and am EXTREMELY happy with the phone and the service. I have done quite a bit of cpu intensive activities on the phone, and only once in a blue moon will it give me an issue and I have to press a button twice, but that is usually when I am running some intensive apps. Otherwise, it is great, easy to use, easy to find things, battery lasts ok, but then all androids right now eat up the battery when you turn on wifi or other hogs. I typically get 3 days on battery ok now, when I'm just using it as a phone, and a text messenger, and search for movies or other things once in a while. I can kill a battery in a day when I run wifi apps and stream a lot of stuff, and have the display set to brightest and etc., etc.

The transition was interesting. The phone actually runs on the Verizon network. The old phone was on the Cingular/ATT network. AND, I wanted to keep my old number. If I didn't have to keep my old number, then it would have been a breeze to switch plans. But, I have a lot tied to that number, and wanted to keep it. So, it took three phone calls, finally reaching a tech that can administer releasing the number form Cingular/ATT, and administer adding it to the Verizon network, and of course administer on Net10/Tracphone as well. Once I found that tech, it was done in maybe 20 minutes, and phone was running all services in an hour.
So, if you do this sort of switch, ask for someone who can administer all THREE different companies accounts. Otherwise, it will still work out, but over a few days.

I know that Android 2.3 is Android 2.3, but, it really isn't, there are features on this phone that are built into the OS that aren't on a friend of mine's Android 2.3 phone. So he has to download an app to turn on/off some features automatically, and mine is available on one of the home screens.

Regarding development? Remember, if you read this thread, I wanted to get a phone, figure out how to write some apps, etc., well, I've downloaded the android developers sdk, running eclipse, and have written my first app. Now, to go into business and make money off of this thing, lol.

I wanted to thank everyone that helped me on this thread and various other threads, I can get a little over asking at times. Thanks to everyone

Take care all,
John
jshenry1963

Postby MDonah » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:28 pm

Hi John, it's Mike again. If you want to develop Java apps as well as Android, Oracle has a complete SDK too. Just Google "Java SDK" and a link should come up that will take you to the sight where you can sign up and download what you need.
MDonah

Return to Getting started, adding Airtime and other general NET10 discussions.