Bad APN settings for Nexus4 with ATT SIM

Bad APN settings for Nexus4 with ATT SIM

Postby Ainvar » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:24 am

Evening all,
This is yet another thread about crappy data speeds and bad APN settings that comes in the documentation, posted on the site, and posted on these forums.

I need the correct APN setting for a Google Nexus 4 using the ATT micro sim from Net10. Everything works with my Tmo SIM and on WiFI but when I switch to the Net10 SIM I get no data or very slow data speeds as I watch the signal go from H to H+ about every 10-20 seconds.

When it does work I can browse the web and send/receive texts but no MMS to or from the phone.
Ainvar

Re: Bad APN settings for Nexus4 with ATT SIM

Postby Net - Felice » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:43 am

Hi Ainvar. My name is NET10 Felice. Sorry that you’re having a problem. I’m going to try to help you now. We need to take this issue offline, so I can address it further. I will contact you directly with a private message. If you are new to this Forum, please participate in any thread by creating at least five posts to enable your private messaging feature. Thank you.
Net - Felice

Postby Ainvar » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:52 pm

Would love to get help but when it takes 2+ hours to get a reply and I am on hold with your CS number for over an hour, makes it a little difficult.
Ainvar

Postby Ainvar » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:07 pm

Any other update on this issue? I have PM my information that was requested to 2 people and still nothing.

Is it really that difficult to verify the APN settings and ensure the SIM card is provisioned correctly in the system?
If I have known of all the issues with data and mms settings that is plaguing everyone who uses this company I would have never wasted my money in the first place.
Ainvar

Postby Ainvar » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:09 pm

Also before someone else asks me to provide information over the PM looks at the so called CS/TS people who has PM'ed me and see what the hold up is.
Ainvar

Postby dmnall » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:11 pm

Have you tried setting the apn settings for net10

NAME net10
APN wap.tracfone
PORT 80
MMSC http://mmsc.cingular.com
MMS PROXY 66.209.11.32
MMS PORT 80

I have no problems with mms and are you running the stock messenging app from google? I know it sounds funny but some people had issues using gosms and you have to add the mms settings in that app. Also are you running stock google aosp or cm10, or aokp on your nexus 4?

Cheers,
Charlie
SGS2-I777 At&t Branded with Net10
dmnall

Postby Ainvar » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:42 pm

dmnall wrote:Have you tried setting the apn settings for net10

NAME net10
APN wap.tracfone
PORT 80
MMS PROXY 66.209.11.32
MMS PORT 80

I have no problems with mms and are you running the stock messenging app from google? I know it sounds funny but some people had issues using gosms and you have to add the mms settings in that app. Also are you running stock google aosp or cm10, or aokp on your nexus 4?

Cheers,
Charlie

Yes I have tried that, thank you for suggesting it though. I am using all stock apps running CM10.1. I also switched the Nexus4 back to stock everything and tested same issue. I know this would not have been an issue since my Tmo prepaid micro sim works without me having to modify any APN settings.

But to give you more information on this. I got Net10 so i could use the ATT microsim as I do not get service from Tmo at all where I work. It is basically a black hole for anything but VZW & ATT.

So I am using the micro ATT sim from NET10 but it looks like they have the sim provisioned to use the APN settings for Tmo which I think is why I am getting the horrible speeds and lag compared to my Tmo sim. And also why MMS is not working like I should.

If I could just get a timely answer that does not take 6+ hours to verify if my ATT micro SIM is provisioned correctly in their system with ATT settings and I am giving the correct APN settings for this then all would be fine.

Also it seems I am not the only one having this issue though if you looks at the hundreds of threads and replies of upset and angry NET10 customers. Even though most of them are trying to use iPhones instead of Android.

Also I am wondering if this issue is location based as I am near Wash DC in Northern VA.

You also seem to be in the now with Android and roms, awesome!
Ainvar

Postby dmnall » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:36 pm

Ainvar wrote:

NAME net10
APN wap.tracfone
PORT 80
MMS PROXY 66.209.11.32
MMS PORT 80

Cheers,
Charlie

Yes I have tried that, thank you for suggesting it though. I am using all stock apps running CM10.1. I also switched the Nexus4 back to stock everything and tested same issue. I know this would not have been an issue since my Tmo prepaid micro sim works without me having to modify any APN settings.

But to give you more information on this. I got Net10 so i could use the ATT microsim as I do not get service from Tmo at all where I work. It is basically a black hole for anything but VZW & ATT.

So I am using the micro ATT sim from NET10 but it looks like they have the sim provisioned to use the APN settings for Tmo which I think is why I am getting the horrible speeds and lag compared to my Tmo sim. And also why MMS is not working like I should.

If I could just get a timely answer that does not take 6+ hours to verify if my ATT micro SIM is provisioned correctly in their system with ATT settings and I am giving the correct APN settings for this then all would be fine.

Also it seems I am not the only one having this issue though if you looks at the hundreds of threads and replies of upset and angry NET10 customers. Even though most of them are trying to use iPhones instead of Android.

Also I am wondering if this issue is location based as I am near Wash DC in Northern VA.

That is odd that net10 is provisioning the att microsim as a tmobile settings. All I know I am ordering in about a week 2 of the nexus4s and I hate to say it, I am switching over to another service since less than a month, my sgs2 i777 *running aokp 4.2.1* is back to slow speeds again that is annoying. Solavei is what I am going to switch over to. Since I have a friend who loves their service and basically it is running t-mobile vs att that I am running on. Have you tried calling them up? 800-876-5753 This is the fastest number I have gotten help, I am going to be calling in a few minutes lol

Charlie
SGS2-I777 At&t Branded with Net10
dmnall

Postby Ainvar » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:51 pm

dmnall wrote:
Ainvar wrote:

NAME net10
APN wap.tracfone
PORT 80
MMS PROXY 66.209.11.32
MMS PORT 80

Cheers,
Charlie

That is odd that net10 is provisioning the att microsim as a tmobile settings. All I know I am ordering in about a week 2 of the nexus4s and I hate to say it, I am switching over to another service since less than a month, my sgs2 i777 *running aokp 4.2.1* is back to slow speeds again that is annoying. Solavei is what I am going to switch over to. Since I have a friend who loves their service and basically it is running t-mobile vs att that I am running on. Have you tried calling them up? 800-876-5753 This is the fastest number I have gotten help, I am going to be calling in a few minutes lol

Charlie

I have looked into them and even ordered a sim card from them. But after waiting 3 weeks for them to ship it and finding out that their roaming on ATT is only when you are outside of the Tmobile coverage area and not if you are in their coverage area and have bad signal. Since Tmo does not work in the basement of the hospital and it has been next to impossible to get a hold of someone at TMo to look into getting a repeater setup for the hospital like ATT and VZW has, I have been looking for something that uses ATT but does not cost 90 bucks a month to get a decent package. I have VZW but am tired of their crap locked out phones and their nickel and diming over everything thing.

But yes the way this NET10 service is, I will not be purchasing another month of their service and I wish I could just get a refund since data is barely working, mms does not work at all, and txting is a crap shoot. Customer Service is a complete insult that I would not wish on my worst enemy.
Ainvar

Return to Accessing websites and other Web discussions.