How to set APN settings for Iphone with IOS 6.0 & 6.0.1

Re: How to set APN settings for Iphone with IOS 6.0 & 6.0.1

Postby amar » Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:18 am

Resque349 wrote:I totally disagree with Sang Ahn…

I guess I don't understand. I've read about the SIM-swap method at http://www.unlockit.co.nz/, but got MMS working by simply installing the Net10 profile, which seems to be a much easier, quicker, and safer method.

What are the advantages of going through the trouble of doing the whole SIM-swap method over just installing the profile?
amar

Postby crackalakin3030 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:47 pm

I have entered in the apn settings but I still have no service, can someone please help. I am using a 3gs with 6.0.1
Thanks!!!
crackalakin3030

Postby rayporsche » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:57 pm

The only reason to use the Swap Sim Card method is to be able to access the APN setting options in the Cellular Data area which otherwise woudn't be available just by installing the Net 10 Sim, after several hours, actually days of frustration and trial and error these are the only APN settings that worked for me:

Cellular Data-
APN: wap.tracfone
MMS-
APN: wap.tracfone
MMSC: http://mmsc.cingular.com
MMS Proxy: proxy.mvno.tracfone.com
MMS Max: 1048576
MMS Usa: http://www.apple.com/mms/uaprof.rdf

Now everything works, mms, sms, web, e-mail, data, 3G..........everything.
Currently using a factory unlocked iP4 running 6.0.1 (10A523)
rayporsche

Postby Treehugger » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:42 pm

Hello - Maybe you can help me since your phone internet now works! CONGRATULATIONS
I have been trying for 2 weeks.
I have iPhone 4S - Unlocked (iTunes said "Congratulations - your iPhone is now unlocked")
I have iOS 6.0.1

I used Wifi and went on Safari and downloaded unlockit.co.nz and it did not do anything.

I called Net10 and they said call Apple.
I called Apple and they said my phone unlocked (I paid $69.99!!!) ... they said that there's nothing more they can do except restore the phone (which they did) and confirmed that it's unlocked.

Can you call me? 347-499-5541 (Do I sound desperate? Because I am ... this is giving me a headache)
Treehugger

Postby Dragonboy » Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:17 pm

Resque349, it does NOT work. I've tried several times using your method and the Cellular Network tab never shows up.
Dragonboy

Postby Net - Kyle » Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:48 pm

Hi Dragonboy. My name is Net10 Kyle. Sorry that you’re having a problem. I’m going to try to help you now. We need to take this issue offline so I can address it further. I will contact you directly with a private message. Thanks.
Net - Kyle

Postby amar » Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:22 pm

I'm still trying to understand this whole APN business. From what I've read in other forums, the downloadable carrier profiles DO contain some APN settings (including those needed for data), but DON'T actually contain the APN settings needed for MMS. That's where the SIM swap comes into play, since it makes the Cellular Data Network settings screen available, where you can edit the needed APN values for MMS.

BUT, for some people (like me), data and MMS seem to work fine without resorting to doing the SIM swap and manually editing APN settings. I suspect the difference lies in how the phone was unlocked in the first place:

1) I have an off-contract AT&T iPhone 4, that was unlocked by AT&T, but never jailbroken. It appears that even though they unlock it, it still retains the AT&T APN settings for MMS — which happen to be the ones needed by Net10, so things just work.

2) iPhones that come factory unlocked from Apple, other carriers, or other countries probably do NOT have these AT&T APN settings, so require the SIM swap trick in order to be enable editing APN settings to get MMS working.

3) iPhones that are unlocked via jail breaking may also not have the needed APN settings. However, you have more options for editing these settings on a jailbroken phone (EditAPN, tetherme, etc.)

I think a big part of the problems and confusion is in assuming all "unlocked" iPhones are the same when, in fact, there are some important differences between them, depending on where they came from and how they were unlocked (i.e. what leftover settings are still retained, but not editable when using SIMS from AT&T or their MVNOs).

Net10/Tracfone could make this all much easier if they became an official Apple-supported carrier, in which case all the proper settings would automatically be loaded by the phone as soon as it recognized a Net10 SIM card. MVNO's can do this, but I understand only one (Tesco in Europe) has actually done so.
amar

Postby MariaC-SEA » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:08 am

Net10 please help.

I am having the same problem. I have an unlocked from AT&T iPhone 3gs running iOS 6.0.1. I can make calls but no data, internet, text, mms.

In July, 2012 I purchased a SIM from net10sim.com & activated $50 service plan that month. At the time the 3gs was running iOS 5.1.1 & the network settings were obtained from unlockit.co.nz. Everything worked fine: Calling, Data, MMS, Internet. I did not renew the 30 day service plan after it expired

Yesterday, 12/1/2012, I reactivated service & added a $50 service plan. The old APN from unlockit.co.nz that I had used this past July wouldn't work, no data & internet; so I changed it by going to http://www.net10sim.com/support.php > Instructions For iPhone tab > . iapnupdate.net10.com. The result? Still no internet, everytime I got to the Safari I get 2 pop-up windows:

"Could not activate cellular data network / You are not subscribed to a cellular data service"

Safari:
"Safari cannot open the page because your iPhone is not connected to the internet."

I will now make 4 more numbered posts so that you can private message me.

Your prompt response is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
MariaC-SEA

Postby pourtoes » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:53 am

Hello, I just ported my number in today and tried changing the APN settings using the sim switch - this didn't work. Then installed the net ten profile (iapnupdate.net10.com), this seemed to work for one web page load but then no others after.
I then tried with the profile in, adding the updated settings for MMS on top of the profile - no dice :(

I have a iPhone 4s with iOS 6.0 that has been factory unlocked (not orig or jailbreak, paid for the unlock to be done and have used w/ tMobile sims successfully).

Please help as I can not sit out a week + for this to work.
THanks!
pourtoes

Postby Anne2 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:29 am

Hi pourtoes. My name is NET10 Anne. I’m going to try to help you now.
We need to take this issue offline so I can address it further. I’ll contact you directly through a private message. Thanks.
NET10 - Anne
Anne2

PreviousNext

Return to Accessing websites and other Web discussions.